Space available in our building!
Starting immediately, you can get space in the building that houses the Gemini & Scorpio Loft! New studio rooms have been built out on the first floor, and we reserved the largest ones to share as office, storage and craft space. Ideally we'd like to see them split between 2-3 performing arts groups and bundled with rehearsal and show bookings upstairs, but we're also open to individual co-working and co-crafting shares. Learn more here: http://bit.ly/GS_office (email: "loft" at "geminiandscorpio"). Or, to get your own space, see http://www.bandspacesnyc.com -- the room layout is here. (If you're going to do quieter things, please request our side of the building! It's A-C.) For anyone renting a room in the building, we'll offer discounts on any Loft rentals for meetings, rehearsals and shows.
7.23 - Goldmine
costume, vintage, thrift and craft shopping party
Sun, July 23, 1-6pm, FREE, all ages
Gemini & Scorpio Loft, Gowanus, BK - use form below for location
Event on Facebook | Social media: @gemini_scorpio #geminiandscorpio
Miss Scorpio teams up with fellow dress-up addicts and craft-makers for some closet-cleaning and handmade clothing & accessory shopping. Think one-of-a-kind vintage, feathers and fascinators, unique jewelry, and lots and lots of sparkles. Of course even divas have days off, so there will be plenty of cheap casual wear finds alongside costume and vintage pieces. Plus: by-donation champagne, chill soundtrack, and lounging in our awesome loft and sprawling roof. Perfect summer Sunday.
- Confirmed vendors:
- Miss Scorpio - vintage, costume and everyday pieces selected for their unique visual appeal
- Abby Hertz - Showgirl clothing, costuming, shoes...and pussy prints
- Cara Coniglio - Funky festival-ready vintage clothing
- Costumegasm - Pasties, booty shorts, elastic body harnesses and more
- Countess Eden - Corsets, shoes, vintage, costumes, sequins
- Cult of Hope - Bohemian gypsy vintage festival wear
- Dora Marra - Turning new and vintage objects into headpieces
- Juicy Peach Clothing - A huge selection of booty shorts
- Lady Black - An eclectic mix of festival, vintage and victorian inspired pieces
- May Eye Adorn You? - Earthy, exotic, and curious handcrafted adornments
- Sarah Sokol Millinery - Brining imagination to life through outrageous headwear
- Zoa Chimerum Jewelry - Biomorphic handmade jewelry of cut rubber layered over forged aluminum
Please note the new date
Sep 9-10 - G&S 15th Birthday: Gilded Age Garden Party
Buy tickets | Event on Facebook | Social media: @gemini_scorpio #geminiandscorpio #gsvictorianball
Saturday & Sunday, Sep 9-10, with overnight accommodations possible
Pretty Penny: historical Victorian mansion in Nyack, NY (235 N Broadway)
Gemini & Scorpio celebrate 15 years of immersive themed costume events with a weekend-long getaway to a historical Victorian mansion for a turn-of-century garden party.
Expect a lavish and historically accurate food buffet in the style of our Victorian events, a full orchestra performing in the garden all day, poolside champagne and classic cocktails, Victorian games & amusements, and outdoor silent films after sunset -- all in a stunning antiques-filled 1858 mansion with a pool and terraced garden.
Entertainment and activities:
- Retro Remix Orchestra - classic songs and current pop hits performed in orchestral, hot jazz and swing arrangements
- Hand-drawn fashion illustrations of guests by Anastasios Taso Megaris
- Photo booth with celebrity portrait photographer Allan Amato
- Victorian garden & parlor games
- Card games played with authentic decks from mid-1800s through early 1900s
- DIY amusements from turn-of-century books
- Saturday evening parlor party with full tea service and dessert
1800-1910s summer garden party, with all-white, cream and pastel tones encouraged (seersucker or light gray are great summer options for men). No modern casual wear, please - though modern cocktail summer attire is easy to accessorize with a nod to Victorian times. Please wear comfortable shoes, and don't forget your swimwear and towels (and parasols). Costume inspiration Pinterest board (not ours): - and ours for banquet/ball/tea research
Ticket options (enter code "group" on ticket page to see rate for 5+ guests):
Saturday & weekend:
- Bronze, $30 - event access 3-9pm, and a welcome champagne as you arrive. You're welcome to bring a picnic or get food in town (but no outside drinks, please).
- Silver, $45 - event access 3pm-12am, giving you additional time to explore the town of Nyack, a welcome champagne as you arrive, then dessert & parlor tea party at 9:30pm.
- Gold, $95 - event access 3-9pm, a welcome champagne as you arrive, historical food buffet 5-8pm, two drink tickets.
- Platinum, $110 - event access 3pm-12am, and a welcome champagne as you arrive, historical food buffet 5-8pm, two drink tickets, plus dessert and parlor tea party at 9:30pm.
- Diamond, $200 - event access 3pm-12am Sat, 11am-11pm Sun (official event end 7pm), including everything above plus breakfast at 11:30am Sun. Those with mansion accommodations have overnight access Sat and Sun.
- Bronze, $30 - event access 1-7pm, and a welcome champagne as you arrive. You're welcome to bring a picnic or get food in town (but no outside drinks, please).
- Silver, $40* - event access 1-11pm, giving you additional time to explore the town of Nyack, and a welcome champagne as you arrive.
- Gold, $95 - event access 1-7pm, a welcome champagne as you arrive, historical food buffet 2-6pm, two drink tickets.
- Platinum, $105* - event access 1-11pm, a welcome champagne as you arrive, historical food buffet 2-6pm, two drink tickets.
*The formal event is over at 7pm, but you can join the crew for leftovers, cocktails, and lounging in the beautiful house. Go into town for dinner and a stroll. Those with mansion accommodations have overnight access.
|Ground queen||1 queen||SOLD||$175||$375|
|Upstairs master||1 qn, 2 single*||$350||$275||$575|
|Upstairs double||2 single||$225||$175||$375|
|Upstairs queen||1 queen||SOLD||$175||$375|
|Upstairs single||1 single||SOLD||$150||-|
|*plus room for air mattress|
There are only five bedrooms in the house, ranging from a sprawling master bedroom with river views to a charming single, each with its own bathroom (some can fit air mattresses, as well). You can rent them for Sat, Sun or both nights. Please contact us directly to arrange: gs [at] geminiandscorpio
There are a few other hotel options in and near Nyack, ranging $150-275/night. We recommend searching through Kayak.com for best rates and booking sooner than later: Nyack is a popular town for summertime weekend getaways.
About our venue:
Ever since the legendary actress Helen Hayes and her husband, the playwright Charles MacArthur, bought the 1858 wedding cake of a house in Nyack in 1932 and christened it Pretty Penny, the historic home has become one of the best-known properties the Lower Hudson Valley. The 7,000-square-foot house has front and back porches, hardwood floors, five bedrooms (each with its own bathroom), and several fireplaces. The interlinked public rooms on the ground floor include a formal dining room, music room, and several sitting rooms, but the heart of the house is the double parlor with a set of French doors that open to the river. A pair of fireplaces with elaborate Italian marble mantels bookend the room. Above them are large gold-framed mirrors that are said to have been bought in Nyack by Hayes. Beyond the floor-to-ceiling river-view double windows, a terraced garden containing 600 conifers and 350 rose bushes leads to an oversized pool below.
Right from the start, the 1858 Italianate Victorian was a magnet for celebrities. Hayes and MacArthur entertained the likes of Ronald Reagan, Marilyn Monroe, Rosalind Russell, Ed Sullivan, Noel Coward, Laurence Olivier, Katharine Hepburn and Vivien Leigh. Cole Porter played the piano. F. Scott Fitzgerald left a signed copy of one of his books. John Barrymore was said to have once stopped by for a pack of cigarettes and left three days later. Edward Hopper famously painted the house in 1939. In more recent years, the home was owned and renovated by Rosie O'Donnell, and Russell Crowe rented it for six months while filming "American Gangster" in 2006.
A charming town just 20 miles outside of the city, Nyack has numerous retail, restaurant and bar options to keep you entertained if you want to venture from the mansion. We'll be about a 10 minute walk away from the center of town. We recommend booking your own accommodations nearby and staying for the weekend.
Transport options from NYC:
- Charter bus: Direct to venue from midtown. $15 one way: Sat departing NYC at 2pm & 4pm / departing Nyack 9pm & 12am; Sun departing NYC at 12pm & 2pm / departing Nyack 7pm & 11pm. Please be sure to buy ticket levels corresponding to correct bus times.
- Bus: (about $22 roundtrip, about an hour ride) Port Authority Gate 220 to Nyack: 2:22pm, 3:15pm, 4:22pm, 5:15pm. Nyack to Port Authority: 8:08pm, 9:08pm, 10:08pm
- Train: (about $22 roundtrip, about 45 min ride + approx $20 for taxi) Grand Central to Tarrytown and back: roughly every 20 min, last train back at 11:13pm. We're looking into the possibility of group tickets & a shuttle from the train station -- info TK.
- Car: Nyack is about 20 miles north of NYC, so a 30 minute drive from midtown. There is street parking just near the house, and a few larger parking lots in town, but carpooling is strongly recommended.